>TaTa Cuban Cafe

>Indianapolis, Indiana

“THE CUBANO IS BACK”

Miami ruined me. A great Cuban sandwich is something you’d think could be made just about anywhere … but for some reason that’s just not the case. Perhaps it’s the Cuban bread, readily available and freshly baked down there but strangely elusive outside the state. Maybe its just a matter of not being able to buy the right “La Plancha” to correctly grill it? No matter what the strange mix of missing factors always seem to be, it added up to relegating my Cubano excitement to trips to south Florida.

Having given up, it was startling to see the “El Guaso” Cubano set down in front of me today at TaTa Cuban Cafe. It seemed to be just right … or close enough to just right to make me a believer once again. I’d eaten here lots…ordered this sandwich in fact more than a few times, but today it was so damn close to what is considered beautiful latin sandwich perfection that it compelled me to sound the alarm. Hot, moist, steamed and compressed…the right bread (minus the palm frond trench down the center but perfectly without the chew inside) The right amount of cheese and a beautiful Mojo sauce on the side … and only a few blocks east of the circle!

I don’t know what happened and I don’t care but I’m putting TaTa’s back on my map.

Tata Cuban Cafe on Urbanspoon

7 Comments on ">TaTa Cuban Cafe"

1. aacpa40 says:

>I love sweet plantains too

2. i8indy says:

>I've been waiting to try this place for a while. Your review put me over the top. It'll happen in the next week or so.

3. No Sporks Allowed says:

>You are right Aacpa40 – the fried plantains are wonderful; carmelized well and dry (not greasy like they often get).

4. No Sporks Allowed says:

>Glad to hear it i8indy – I plan on becoming a fixture in the place every few weeks or so myself. Let me know if you like it.

5. barbara says:

>As a visitor from CT, I must say that people of downtown Indy don't really get to experience as much diversity as back home. Tata's really sets a tone for challening to step out of the ordinary and experience something that is genuine and inviting. The atmosphere is certainly different, which is what everyone needs once in a while. You get the real people and real food in one.

6. No Sporks Allowed says:

>Well said Barbara. Indianapolis is the urban center of a state that is traditionally suspect of "other." That being said, it's nice to see it growing and trying new things out…even if the speed of acceptance challenges me at times. When I first moved to the state (18 years ago) I was hard pressed to find a decent bagel and ethnic food was considered italian or mexican. Downtown is decidedly more accepting than most of the rest of the city in terms of not feeling like you have to be anglo and christian, but its culinary diversity is pushed to the near suburbs due to high rent for the convention traffic and business week crowd. You've got to dig in this town for ethiopian, egyptian, thai, korean, vietnamese, african, peruvian, pakistani, jamaican, indian and other minority eats.

7. Sara says:

>W 38th and Lafayette road is a veritable treasure trove of delicious food. The hole-in-the-wall places are the best. The neighborhood might seem a bit scary, but its totally worth it for the food.

Got something to say? Go for it!